Sunday, November 23, 2014

Being Grateful for the Right Things.


Being Grateful for the Right Things.

Thanksgiving is a busy time. It seems we are more preoccupied with preparing for the holiday than actually celebrating it! Seriously, who really wants to be traveling, cooking, and tolerating that crazy uncle at the first break you probably got since summer?! It’s a shame really, because when we do get a moment to reflect about what we are grateful for, it’s usually about the wrong things . . . possessions, vacations, promotions, etc. Now don’t get me wrong, I like nice things, have been able to go to some wonderful places, and recently received a promotion at my “day job”, but all that pales in comparisons to the things that really matter.

I encourage to create your own list, but here is mine:

People –
The greatest blessings I have are the people around me. My wife, family (crazy uncle included!), my friends, my staff, my students, and the people I get to serve through Out Loud Strategies. They challenge me, encourage me, and support me. In short, they make me better!

Gifts Given and Given Away –
My abilities and talents are my true gifts, though I really still like the satellite radio my wife gave me one year! Seriously, my ability to communicate, connect, organize, and pour my life into others gives me the greatest joy because they enable me to lift up and help others.

Challenges –
This may seem strange but I am grateful for the challenges I have experienced. Granted, I wasn’t too crazy about them at the time, but challenges taught me my greatest lessons. They gave me confidence and increased my ability to persevere when the next challenge arose. Finally, they taught me I could be more and do more than I realized (I probably surprised a few others too!).

Things Undone –
For me, without a new hill to climb, a new goal to reach, a new vision to fulfill, life would get boring. The feeling that I have not reached my destination motivates and compels me to keep pushing, keep learning and continue growing. People often make fun of the stack of books I have in my office that are unread. That’s OK, because I will get to them and when I do, new possibilities will open up. As leaders, we will never be complete, but I am fine with this since means we will always be trying to improve.


I do hope that you have a safe and fulfilling Thanksgiving Holiday. I do encourage you to create your own list and share it with me if you get a chance. As always, if I can help you Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would love to hear from you. Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM




No comments:

Post a Comment