Sunday, October 25, 2015

Empowerment is an “If, Then” Proposition.




Like any good leader, I try to empower my team members. This means providing autonomy, encouragement, occasional course corrections, but, overall, asking them to take their work and run with it. From time to time, however, I find myself in a situation where one of my team members presents more problems than solutions. This got me thinking out loud that EMPOWERMENT is an “If, Then” proposition.

In other words, IF I empower a team member THEN they need to DO SOMETHING with that! Similarly, IF you get empowered by a supervisor or leader, THEN you have an obligation to not waste that opportunity! I see the act of EMPOWERMENT as a loan versus an entitlement. Essentially when you empower someone, you are loaning your influence, authority, and vision. I jokingly tell my team that I will micromanage to the point that you LET me or that I HAVE to. In other words, I am happy to provide you with the authority you need to do your job without my constant management as long as A) you take that job and run with it and/or B) you do so in a way that is innovative, risk mindful, and results oriented.

Many times I hear managers say, “I just hire good people then get out of their way.” Actually, that is not leadership, it is an abdication of responsibility. That does not mean you should do their job for your team member, but it does mean you coach, course correct as needed, look out for mission creep, and offer feedback that will help them improve as leaders.

So if you are empowering or get empowered, be mindful of the following:

  • Have clear expectations of what you are empowering or are empowered to do.
  • Play to win versus not to lose = expect or demonstrate initiative and just start.
  • Expect or be solutions focused and results oriented.
  • Check in from time to time to make sure everything is on the right path
  • Set or be sure of metrics of success.
  • Reflect on lessons learned, skills gained, capacities developed, etc.
If I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com

Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment