Sunday, December 6, 2015

Why intentional development is about being “even more” vs “less than”!



For those who know me, you know I am a developer. I love facilitating growth and development in others and it is my primary strength on the Strengthsfinder 2.0 instrument. In fact, I have been doing this my entire working career in some form or another; thus I have a tough time understanding why people do not want to get better. Why do so many people just stop learning, exploring, and reflecting as soon as they are done with their formal education? I was thinking out loud about this recently and came to the conclusion that the reason is human nature. In other words, it is human nature to avoid thinking we are somehow “less than”. Investing in intentional leadership growth plans and experiences may be viewed by yourself or others as we are somehow “less than”.

  • Less than capable.
  • Less than able.
  • Less than competent.
  • Less than skilled.
  • Etc.
  • Etc.
The fact of the matter is that nothing could be further from the truth! Unless you are some kind of ax murderer (and if you are, I rather not know!), you are no slouch yourself! You would not be where you are right now if you did not have some level of skill, some level of commitment, or some level of ability.

You see leadership development is truly about becoming “even more”.

  • Even more effective in communicating your vision.
  • Even more skilled at growing your business.
  • Even more capable at connecting with others.
  • Even more intentional about building capacities.
  • Even more able to lead others.
  • Even more willing to lead yourself!
Why is this important? There is an incredible vacuum of leadership in our society today. Often that vacuum is filled with ineffective leadership. So I encourage you to become “even more” by intentionally growing your leadership skills and abilities. The good news is that it does not take much investment to gain exponential results! Just one short video, article, book chapter, etc. a day will have a huge impact. I encourage you to try it for seven days and see what happens. In the end, a lot of people need us to get better as leaders.
Our family needs us to be.
Our clients or customers need us to be.
Our team members need us to be.
Our communities need us to be.

If I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com

Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc


No comments:

Post a Comment