Sunday, March 20, 2016

There is no wasted EFFORT, just missed OPPORTUNITIES!



The other night I attended a hockey game. Trust me, there is something a little surreal about going to hockey game in south Florida. Seriously, I have to bring something warmer to wear in the arena than I do outside! Unfortunately the home team lost but after looking at the game stats, this got me thinking out loud about effort and results.

You see, while looking at the score board, the opposing but winning team had more “shots on goal” than the home team. Keep in mind, all those shots did not result in a scoring goal, it just means the eventual winning team made more successful efforts.

Lots of time, you will hear people (maybe your own team members or maybe even yourself) say “that was just wasted effort”. I used to say that myself but I now know better. Just like the hockey metaphor, every effort toward a goal is never wasted. True, you may not meet your goal every time but you learn something every time you take your shot! You learn what works well and what is not as effective. You learn that your first approach was not completely successful but parts of it were. History shows us that Thomas Edison made thousands of attempts in his efforts to create the light bulb. When asked about this by a reporter, he said “I did not fail thousands of times, I just discovered thousands of ways of how not to do it!”

The point is this. There is no such thing as wasted effort, just missed opportunities. Just like in hockey, conditions will rarely be ideal. You may not have all the resources you need. The perfect team may not be assembled. None of that, however, should stop you from making the attempt! The more effort extended, the higher the probability of successful results. Failure only comes when we don’t take advantage of the opportunity to take a shot!

I would wager you took a risk or two to get where you are today. You bet on yourself or one of your ideas when others were skeptical. Just keep taking those “shots on goal” and don’t miss your opportunities!

As always if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Principal Consultant – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com

Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc


No comments:

Post a Comment