Saturday, April 9, 2016

Big Dreams Cannot Survive in Small Disciplines



Few events produce such impactful learning as the World Leaders Conference that is held in West Palm Beach every year in early March. One of the outstanding speakers this year was Dr. John Maxwell. During his talk John stated that may people have “uphill goals but downhill habits”! This got me thinking out loud about why we do not always reach the goals that are important to us. One of the reasons is that big dreams often fall prey to small or inadequate disciplines.

As someone who is immersed in the leadership development and personal effectiveness arena, a common theme that emerges from both the success stories and their story tellers is just how disciplined these men and women are. For example, John Maxwell reads, files, writes, and reflects every day. Tony Robbins is known for his incredible workout routine. Grant Cardone constantly blows up my twitter feed at strategic times (i.e. ALL THE TIME!). Further, stories of the most successful entrepreneurs, world class athletes, and noted surgeons will reveal that they are not time wasters and have disciplined their work, leisure, family, and personal time with fine precision.

I know for myself that my most productive times are when I am incredibly busy! Why? Because it requires me to discipline both my time and efforts. I bet the same is true for you! So how can we live more disciplined lives? Consultant Tony Jeary recommends the following:
  • Define – what is of most important to you. What is you audacious goal?
  • Focus – on those activities that are most beneficial or leveraged to achieving your goals. As John Maxwell stresses, organize your activities as those that are REQUIRED of you, the most REWARDING, and provides biggest RETURN on investment
  • Delegate – as much as you can to high impact staff
  • Automate – as many of the mundane activities you can (i.e. paying bills, ordering supplies, etc.)
  • Eliminate – time wasters and energy suckers. This can include people, social media, and my nemesis, Amazon TV!

I have heard it said that we hope things work out but we expend little effort to create a successful outcome. That is unfortunate because it is important for you to have BIG DREAMS! It is there that lives are changed, causes are created, businesses thrive, and organizations flourish! So go ahead and DREAM BIG, your organizations need you to, your family and friends need you to, and our communities need you to. It is YOU they are waiting for!

For more information about next year’s World Leaders Conference, keep checking:

As always if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Principal Consultant – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com


Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment