Monday, August 8, 2016

What Home Appliance Disasters Can Teach Leaders About Problem Solving!


When home appliances attack, there is much to be learned! While vising old friends this weekend, the refrigerator of our host’s home decided to run amuck by creating a free flow of ice. This “ice geyser” spilled all over the floor and would not stop! Now this group of friends, often referred to as “The Coalition”, has been a group I have known for over 20 years. Regardless of where I am and what I am doing, these people have been a constant in my life; thus we are VERY comfortable around each other. As a result of the hilarity that ensued, this got me thinking out loud about the roles people play when things go wrong!

So here are some of the leadership roles observed in this real-time human performance simulation:

Lead Panic Facilitators – these are folks that like to amplify the issue(s) or situation and create more problems! They generally get in the way, raise their voices, and make mountains out of molehills. Clearly they understand it is more fun to ramp up the drama!

Lead Train Wreck Watchers – these folks will stay in the sidelines and just watch what happens (often because they are not sure what to do!). They will offer advice (most of it not all that helpful) but usually just stay out of the way, neither helping or hurting. These are also the kind of leaders you can count on to catch all the action on social media and share accordingly!

Lead Problem Solvers – obviously, these are the kind of leaders we rely on to get things done. They analyze the situation, decide on the best course of action, and then jump in! They also understand they are most helpful directing or taking direction. Some will be there with towels to scoop up the ice, some will mop up wet floors, while others work on the out of control appliance! Afterward, they then suggest we all go out for hotdogs!



So the moral of the story is that when things go wrong, observe what others do. Then make sure you identify what is helpful and point out what is note! Granted, I may be embellishing the drama of our home appliance adventure, but as my good friend Anthony advises. "Don't let the vinegar of truth ruin a sweet story!" Also, these categories may be simplistic, if not a bit tongue-in-cheek, but as leadership expert John Maxwell shares, "some staff bring a bucket of water to a problem while others bring gasoline!" others work on the out of control appliance! 
“Don't let the vinegar of truth ruin a sweet story!”
The other lesson that can be learned here is that leaders need an inner circle of people that:
  • accept you as you are
  • don’t let you get away with anything
  • keep you humble by telling stories about you when you were not at your best
  • love you unconditionally and demand the same from you!
As always if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Principal Consultant – Out Loud Strategies

Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com

Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

4 comments:

  1. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you. appliance repair kanata

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! This was one was one of my "lighter" submissions.

      Delete
  2. Good website! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes it is. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which may do the trick? Have a great day! SubZero, Viking Ice Maker Repair SAN BERNANDINO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Anna. Yes, the RSS feed should let you know when a new post arrives. I have not been as active lately but plan on being more consistent with weekly blogs later this month. Regards, BF

    ReplyDelete