Sunday, December 11, 2016

Your Best 5 Minutes this Week!


Being a positive person in cynical world is not easy! Everything from news stories to entertainment works to bring you down. Besides, trying to be up-beat around your grouchy family and friends really irritates them (though I admit to secretly enjoying their discomfort!). This has got me thinking out loud about why more people are not as happy or as satisfied with their lives as they should be. I recently completed a 5-minute exercise that just may help!

First, I believe the reason we do not feel as good about ourselves as we should is all based on messages we receive from advertising, media and the entertainment industry. Advertisers know that nothing works like envy! In other words, if you do not drive a certain car, wear certain clothes, look a certain way, have a certain life style, drink a certain beer, etc. then somehow you are “less than”. The way to become “better than”, therefore, is to use or buy that particular product or live a certain way. I call this “the Big Lie”. You see advertisers and the media know that everyone has a soft spot in our armor and they exploit that. The result is we spend time, energy, and money chasing something that really does not exist. Seriously, does anyone understand a perfume or cologne commercial?!

Truly we live in an unencouraging world. In fact, leadership expert and author John Maxwell often states that one of the primary jobs of leaders is to encourage others. In light of John’s great advice, I want to lead you by encouraging you to take 5 Minutes to encourage YOURSELF. Adopting a powerful exercise from Jim Loehr’s grate book, The Only Way to Win, I want you to take 5 minutes to think about yourself. I know that sounds weird in that most people rarely do so. Regardless, I want you to take 5 minutes to think and then write about YOUR BEST SELF. In other words, list those things about yourself that you are most proud of in terms of:
  • Accomplishments
  • Character Strengths
  • Values
  • Relationships
  • Skills
  • Abilities
  • Attempts
  • Challenges You Overcome
  • What You Have Built
  • What You Still Want to DO!

The only rule is that you cannot stop until you use the entire 5 minutes (or 10 if you are feeling particularly generous about yourself!). I did this very exercise this week and it was incredibly powerful in that just like everyone else, I have times of self-doubt. The problem becomes when we dwell on the negatives, it diminishes are effectiveness in work and life. Confidence (as opposed to arrogance) is an impact multiplier!

I will also grant you that doing this was not as easy as it sounds because we live in a world that does easily let us feel good about ourselves. But here’s the thing, you need to stop second guessing your own worth and value. You need to listen to YOUR BEST SELF more than the Itty Bitty Critical Committee that often lives in your head! If you still find it difficult to complete this exercise, then contact me and let’s see if I can help.

As always if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Principal Consultant – Out Loud Strategies

Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com


Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment