In previous blogs, I have shared some key strategies as to how to focus and then expand on your second half plan. I was recently attending the International Maxwell Conference where our President, Chris Robinson wisely shared, “our future arrives as evidence!” This got me thinking out loud about how will we KNOW we have a solid plan?
Speaker and author John
Maxwell often shares that the biggest gap is the gap between KNOWING and DOING.
As a leadership and career coach, I can attest that time and time again, this
is where my clients get stuck. They are incredibly bright and talented and they
know what they capable of (sometimes I must believe FOR them!) and
know what they should do next, but when it comes to taking action
on that knowledge, they hesitate. Taking action is where the rubber meets the
road.
Anchored to your What's In the
Box discoveries (see previous blogs), I have created a 7Ps Framework that you should respond to in
writing or via keyboard to create crucial data points that will allow you to stress
test your Second Half game plan. Complete your responses to the following dimensions:
PURPOSE: What is the goal of your
Second Half? Why does it matter to you now? Why will it matter in the future?
PREPARING: What will you jettison
and let go of to gain your Second Half? What new skills, attitudes, habits, competencies,
etc. do you need to develop to equip yourself for your Second Half?
PROCESS: How will you learn,
who will you talk with, how will you discipline yourself? Who can help you with
your Second Half plan?
PEOPLE: Who will your Second
Half serve?
PERIOD: What timelines do you
want to establish? What are your X to Y progress points? What do you want to accomplish
by when?
PLACE: Are you in the right
place to activate your plan? At the same Maxwel Conference, speaker Tim Novak
shares that your ENVIRONMENT is an impact multiplier because it can:
-
Normalizes this idea of a compelling second half
-
Challenges your assumptions and keeps you honest
-
Sharpens your competence
-
Shortens the restart time as you try new things and activate your plan
- Expands what feels possible
PRODUCTION: These are the clear deliverables in as many domains you want to define:
- Finances
- Volunteer hours
- Work metrics
- Leisure pursuits
- Etc.
PROGRESS: How you'll know your
Second Half plan is working for you? What will be your measures for success and
fulfillment?
If your Second Half plan calls
for you to remain full-time in the workplace, then here is some additional guidance.
BE BOLDER – As Dan Cathy, CEO
of Chick-fil-a recently shared, “I am not focusing on getting older, I want to
get bolder!” Platform you value add by deliberately sharing what you
KNOW, what you can DO, and who you ARE. Play to WIN, not to not lose.
DON'T DISGUISE -- EMPHASIZE: There
is a lot of mixed advice on this topic, especially for older professionals in
the workplace. I am leaning toward the advice of John Tarnoff who wrote Boomer
Reinvention to own your age because when it comes time for the interview,
you are not fooling anyone! Elevate how your experience, insights, wisdom, and
professional maturity is a benefit and not a liability.
ALWAYS BE LEARNING – John
Maxwell shares The Law of the Rubber Band in his book The 15 Laws of Growth
that growth stops when you lose the tension between where you are and where you
could be. The main ding on older workers is the perception of unwillingness to
learn new tech or new ways of doing things. You should spotlight new certifications
with an emphasis on AI integration and highlight continuous learning on your resume
and LinkedIn profile.
I understand that considering
a Second Half is daunting. Trust me on this, I am right there with you in my
season in life. Many will not even make the attempt since it seems so big but as
I share with my clients, you do not need to have it all figured out. Just take
the first step. As the authors of Designing Your Life, Dave Evans and Bill
Burnett, share, “set the bar low and clear it!”
Mark Cole,
who is the CEO of Maxwell Leadership, recently spoke to the value of ONE.
·
One decision creates direction.
·
One change creates focus.
·
One action creates momentum.
·
One relationship creates community.
·
One shift creates a transformation.
That is all you need to do, just take ONE.
I wish you all success on creating your Second
Half. It will not be easy, but I hope I have given you some tools to get started.
That will be its own victory to just . . . get . . . started! Here is my last
call to action:
·
ONE ACTION - What is the next step in next 48h
hours to start change?
·
ONE CHANGE - What is the one thing that must change first?
·
ONE RELATIONSHIP – Who will you invite into the process?
·
ONE SHIFT – What mental adjustment will I make today?
As always if I can
help you with your own Second Half, please let me know. If I can assist you and
the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I invite
you to contact me.
Yours in leadership,
Bill Faulkner
Independent Coach, Speaker,
and Trainer with Maxwell LeadershipTM
Certified DISC Profile System
Consultant and Gallup Strengths Coach
Certified Designing Your Life
Coach
Email
= bill@outloudinc.com
Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com
For more information on the
Maxwell Leadership, please visit
http://www.johncmaxwellgroup.com/williamfaulkner/
Feel free to “LIKE” our FB
Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc
NOTE: No AI Agents were harmed
in the creation of this blog. This content reflects the actual research,
thoughts, and considerations of the intended audience of the author – who just
so happens to be a human being!
No comments:
Post a Comment