Monday, July 14, 2014

The Moment We Stop Improving . . .


The Moment We Stop Improving  . . . 

The very moment we stop improving, we are no longer good at what we do!

Sounds pretty drastic doesn't it? I believe it to be fundamentally true for any profession or endeavor. Think about it, do you want your physician to be operating under knowledge or techniques that are over ten or fifteen years old? How about a tax accountant that is filing your tax returns under laws from five or even two years ago?

Put another way, what would be the benefits of increasing your knowledge-base, technical skills, etc.? What are the consequences if you did not?

A few years ago, I found myself in this very situation. Even though I pursued and earned advanced degrees all the way to the Ph.D. level, I discovered I had plateaued. I was not offering anything new to my staff, my students, and my organization. I had stopped being good at what I do!

In Sometimes You Win, Sometimes You Learn, John Maxwell states that sometimes people change when it starts to hurt enough that they have to! My coasting through my professional life was hurting me and my effectiveness. That is when I started pursuing an external certification in the areas of leadership development and coaching (my personal areas of strength and interest). I looked at several options and chose the John Maxwell Team due to the fact that the values and approach aligned with my own. The happy result is I have been on a GROWTH JOURNEY for the past two years and it has changed my life. It has made me a better supervisor, increased my relevance with my students, and most importantly, made me a better person. 

I am not proposing you pursue the course of action I did, but I am encouraging you to consider the following:
  • Where are you NOW?
  • Where to you want to BE?
  • WHY do you want to get there?
  • WHAT do you need to get there?
  • HOW will you do so?

You see, the WHY will fuel the WHAT and the HOW! Is it a promotion, career change, personal mastery, or something more intrinsic like a fitness goal or a life skill? Author Alex Cohan states, "in order to grow, your present and future must be totally unlike your past." Here are a few tips:
  1. Take inventory of the questions above and reflect on your answers.
  2. Based upon that, determine the next steps of a GROWTH PLAN (remember that you do not have to have every step figured out in order to start).
  3. Determine the resources you will need – self-training, mentors, advanced degree, etc.
  4. Target metrics that will track your improvement. In other words, how will you KNOW you are improving?
  5. Repeat!


Keep in mind, these are just basic steps and there are many resources available on the web, great books, videos, and podcasts. Just try the things that appeal to how you learn best. Feel free to contact me if I may be of assistance at bill@outloudinc.com. As always, I want you to Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD!

Regards,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM




No comments:

Post a Comment