Sunday, August 30, 2015

Taming Type A and Other Such Myths!



I get to work and interact with amazing people. Recently I was having a conversation with one of them who just so happens to be the “poster child” for the “Type A” personality type. I will honor their confidentiality and not state their name but you know exactly who you are! Now I am more of a “Type B” so during the course of the recent interaction, the inevitable and humorous clash got us laughing to the point where we realized the lens by which we view and interact with the world sometimes creates interpersonal hiccups. This got me thinking out loud if it were possible to tame the Type A and bring them to the light of Type B! But then upon later reflection, which us Type B’s are prone to do, Type A’s know they are Type A and it is even a point of pride for them; thus why the idea of taming Type A is just plausible as the existence of Bigfoot, the lost continent of Atlantis, and other such things you see on the History Channel.

For those not familiar with the theory of Type A and B personalities, it was first developed by two cardiologists, Friedman and Rosenman. In their research, they determined the following characteristics of each style:

Type A’s
  • Rigidly organized (my associate has a merit badge in this!)
  • Impatient
  • Overextended
  • High Achieving


Type B’s
  • Work Steadily
  • Creative
  • Reflective
  • Like to achieve too, but do not stress over it

Now each Type has value, and we need both in any organization. You probably thought I was going to suggest we have a 12 Step Program for recovering Type A’s but I really do value Type A’s and besides, I know you would find a way to make it a 6 Step program anyway! Seriously, the issue becomes when we lack the awareness to determine when our predominant type is an asset or is becoming a liability. John Maxwell in his 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership tracks levels of awareness in the following order:
I Don’t Know What I Don’t Know
I Know that I Need to Know
I Know what I Don’t Know
I Know and Grow
I Go Simply Because of What I Know

I favor this progression because even when we become aware, people usually react in two ways – they either don’t care or they get better (and I always vote to “get better”!). So, what type are you? What is your level of awareness as to your personality Type and how that impacts how you view the world, people, and situations? When does your style give you an advantage? When does it become an asset or liability in your leadership life?

As always, if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com





No comments:

Post a Comment