Sunday, September 27, 2015

The PRICE of Your Leadership.





Leadership and personal development expert John Maxwell shares that “the SOUL of your leadership lies in your values.” I would extend that and propose the PRICE of your leadership is acting on those values in a consistent, uncompromising manner! 

I was thinking out loud that the character of our nation has moved from one of moral focus to moral relativism. No one wants to be held accountable any more. From professional athletes to reality TV stars, there is no moral center. In fact I saw a great meme the other day that stated: When Miley Cyrus gets up on stage, half naked, and licks a hammer, she calls it “art” or “music”. When I do it, I get asked to leave the Home Depot! (To be clear I have never done this, just stating an example . . . let’s don’t start that rumor!). So moving quickly along, the reason for this lack of moral clarity is that often we are not clear on what our values REALLY are.
Do a quick activity for me. List you top 3 Values. Now ask yourself the following questions:
1.    What would your life be like if you did not have them?
2.    What would your relationships be like?
3.    How would you conduct yourself professionally?
I would bet most of you would respond that life without these values would be shallow, meaningless, full of drama, and disappointment. You would be right. So let me ask you one more question.
4.    If we know of such outcomes, why do we sometimes act in a way that is antithetical to the values we say we hold so dear? (and I include myself in that question!!)

The point is not to guilt anyone, the point is to raise our awareness. The PRICE of courageous leadership is to both KNOW and ACT upon our values everyday, all the time. This is not easy. In fact look at your top 3 value list again.

Are you willing to be INCONVENIENCED for these values?Are willing to be INTERRUPTED for these values?What will you SACRIFICE for these values?Are you willing to PAY the ultimate PRICE for what you believe and hold dear as the best of us have done?

It all starts with what you believe is most important because when leaders act upon their values, it draws people to them. I believe people genuinely want to follow leaders of integrity. It’s you they are waiting for!

As always, if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com


Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment