Sunday, February 21, 2016

What are you DESIGNED to DO?


Recently I finished a great book by my virtual mentor, John Maxwell. The book was entitled Intentional Living: Choosing a Life that Matters. In this book, John focuses a lot on “finding your WHY.” You see, once you find your WHY, or the reasons why you believe you were placed on the planet, the WHAT and the HOW takes care of itself. Put another way, your WHY will fuel the WHAT you want to do and then HOW you will be able to do it! This got me thinking out loud about further defining my own purpose and significance in the life of others.

I spent some time last week thinking a lot about this and came across a great article in SUCCESS Magazine by Stephanie Wood. Stephanie outlined a great activity to help you find your meaning or your WHY and I thought I would share it with you.

First, make a list of your personal qualities (i.e. honest, hardworking, playful, creative, etc.)

Second, list all your talents (e.g. public speaking, organizing, motivating, etc.)

Third, think about those activities that you find yourself repeatedly doing (e.g. volunteering, mentoring others, fixing computer problems, or creating a marketing campaign).

Fourth, list your true desires. What do you want to be doing with your life? Do you want to travel, work for a cause, help others develop capital, or lead a high functioning team?

Finally, take a look at your respective list and circle the one word or phrase that best captures your personal characteristic of each category above.

Now it is time to complete the following sentence:
I, (fill in your name) was DESIGNED to (fill in your most valued personal quality) who can (insert strongest talent) because I find myself (fill in the activity that repeats itself often in your life) because I am SUPPOSED to (fill in your truest desire).

Once you do this once, it is OK to refine it a bit but I believe you will be very surprised by the result. You see, I believe each one of us was intentionally DESIGNED to do something important in this world. Something no one else can do but YOU! It is my hope that with that understanding comes the self-realization of just how important and valuable you are!

Here is where I landed in this activity:
I, Bill Faulkner, am designed to Empower Others because I can Communicate Effectively which allows me to Teach important lessons for now because I am supposed to produce leaders for life!

You can find Stephanie’s full article in the December 2014 edition of Success Magazine.

As always if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com


Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment