Sunday, July 17, 2016

LEADERS Keep the Faith!


Should a leader’s faith influence their actions? In a time when some forces believe that societies should operate with freedom FROM faith (i.e. tyranny) versus freedom OF faith (i.e. liberty!), this got me thinking out loud out about the edgier topic of how a leader’s faith plays into their approach to leading others.

Just to be clear, I am not advocating one denomination or even religion over another. It is just my belief that the primary role of a leader, as stated by Kouzes and Posner in their excellent work, the Leadership Challenge, is to provide HOPE to their followers. The only way that can possibly happen is if you have faith in something beyond yourself!

Effective leaders or “Beyond You” leaders have a positive outlook fueled by their faith that things can be better. That situations can be turned around and victory can be snatched from impending defeat. There are many great examples of this but I recently watched two wonderful teleplays on Winston Churchill that highlighted events in his life just before and during the years he lead Great Britain through World War II. This was a man, although imperfect and on the edge of personal ruin, brought himself and eventually an entire nation out of defeat. This was due in large part to his unwavering faith in himself and is beloved county. The same can be true for ALL us. IF we believe in ourselves FIRST, then we can believe in the potential of others. Sometimes there is no good reason to believe that things can turn around, but that is where the power of faith comes in. As leadership expert John Maxwell shares, we can have FEARS but we can also have FAITH! Maybe that is why so many great leaders in governance, business, education, health care, etc. often point to their faith as the impact multiplier that made the difference!

Back to my original question, should a leader’s faith play a part and influence in how they lead? At least for me, the answer is a resounding YES! I admit I am not the best example of a person of faith but here is how my faith has influenced me.

It Helps me Accept More and Judge Less
It Instructs me to Serve by Leading and Lead by Serving
It Cautions me to STAY in Integrity versus STRAY into Selfishness
It Reminds me to be Soft on People but Tough on the Issues as CEO Douglas Conant informs us
It Challenges me to Expect More from Myself than Others Do
It Convicts me to Lead on Principle versus Politics
It Convinces me to LEAD for Long Term impact versus Short Term Gain

Certainly a man of faith is pastor and speaker, Andy Stanley who challenges us to be a Beyond You versus About You leader. In other words, if your leadership is just About You, it will last just long enough to be someone’s bad example. If your leadership is Beyond You, it will far outlast you and have a positive impact on people you will never meet! So keep the faith y’all!

As always if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Principal Consultant – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com


Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment