Sunday, July 3, 2016

Success = What You DO = What You ARE!


I recently read a quote by author and speaker Simon Sinek that that proposes “people don’t buy what you DO, they buy WHY you do it!” This got me thinking out loud about how important it is that what we DO is in alignment with what we ARE!


Far too often, I believe people try to compartmentalize LIFE and WORK. Said another way, too many of us are in occupations that are simply a means to fund what we do with our time when we are not at our place of work. According to the Gallup organization, such a dichotomy may be more generational but that is changing. Based upon their recently released report of How Millennials Work and Live, this 20 – 35-year-old cohort prefers that their work and life are integrated versus balanced! They are searching for workplaces where their social, emotional, and fulfillment needs are met.

Too be honest, I think this generation is on to something very important! We spend most of our day in the workplace; thus when we have the opportunity to work at something that reflects our values, strengths, and passions, we are just that much more successful! Our work becomes a reflection of who we are and our clients, customers, co-workers, and leaders sense our enthusiasm. We believe that what we are doing makes a difference in the lives of others and/or their work and that passion rises to the surface! I bet you can tell the difference. Interactions are that much more positive, service is just that much better, and results are just that much more impressive! I go to a lot of networking events and to be honest I have to dial down my enthusiasm when I start talking about what I do because I think it creeps people out when I get on a roll! For those who have ever heard me speak or train, you know what I am talking about!

So here are a few questions to determine if what you DO and what you ARE align:
Do you look forward to going to your work every day?
Does your work give you a sense of pride and accomplishment?
Do you believe that what you do makes the impacts you desire?
Do you have friends at your place of work?
Are you proud to tell others what you do?

Now granted, not every day is a great day and you should take some time away from the job to recharge. It is my great hope, however, that your answer to the above is a big “Yes!” If you are unsure, then it is never too late to “change lanes”.Try one more simple activity provided by consultant Derek Dempsey. Grab a sheet of paper and draw a vertical line down the middle. One the left hand side, write down the things you like to do and on the right, the things you love to do. Your best DO/ARE fit will be those things on the right hand side!

As always if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Principal Consultant – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com


Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment