Sunday, June 26, 2016

In Prioritizing your Life, the FIRST Item Should be the LIFE DEFINING One


I’m a checklist kind of guy. Whenever I start a new project or effort, I create an Excel document that itemizes everything that I think needs to get done and by when. I then have a column that I can use to check off when the action item is complete. Recently, however, this got me thinking out loud about what should be the MOST IMPORTANT item on my list of priorities.

You see, our priorities not only organize us, the DEFINE us. Let’s drill down some more on this. Take a minute and list your TOP 5 LIFE PRIORITIES as they are right now (making sure not to read the rest of this blog until you do!). Next, take a look at your list again. Did you have things such as the ones below?
  • Cherish and protect my loved ones
  • Make an impact in the lives of others
  • Be the best in my chosen profession

Now, if your list did not look like this, DO NOT feel badly! We so easily get caught up in the minutia of life that our priorities tend to reflect our most immediate wants and needs which is certainly understandable. We usually focus on things like get a promotion, exceed my work goals, plan that vacation, etc. but in doing so we lose altitude on what should be most important.

I believe that when we focus on the big picture, then it drives everything else. For example, in wanting to protect my loved ones, all other decisions and actions will reflect that priority in driving my career success, how I spend my spare time with who and what, etc. When viewed this way, everything else is just icing on the cake!

I have heard it said that we are DEFINED by the CHOICES we make. In other words, as author and speaker John Maxwell says, “the choices we make, make us!” I encourage you to take another look at your list. What would change if you prioritized the MOST IMPORTANT things versus the MOST IMMEDIATE? If you need any assistance in doing so, I believe strongly that coaches and mentors can help you so I encourage you to seek them out. I recently read about the concept of a personal board of directors. Accordingly, I once heard Dr. Tim Elmore from Growing Leaders state that he has several advisers for different parts of his life (e.g. family, finances, business, spiritual, etc.). Think about who can help you and how you can help!

As always if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Principal Consultant – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com


Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment