Sunday, September 7, 2014

The problem with GIFTS!



The problem with GIFTS!

As my good friend and mentor Rick Miller says, “Everyone is good at something!” The same is true when it comes to leadership. I believe that if you make honest attempts to be the best leader you can be, then you have LEADERSHIP GIFTS! Much like the results from the Clifton StrengthsFinder
TM instrument, we all have a core set of leadership strengths or gifts that we use to lead others in our own unique way. By the way, if you have never taken the Clifton StrengthsFinderTM instrument, I encourage you to purchase this inexpensive book and take the inventory using the computer code provided at the back of the book.

These strengths or gifts can include attributes such as persuasion, strategic thinking, responsibility, identifying talent or attention to detail. The problem with such gifts, though, is that sooner or later we have to use them! I know that sounds incredible but I know people who are so gifted but they do not use their leadership strengths. The reasons for this vary but it can run the gamut from:
  • Fear of success.
  • Fear it may mean more work.
  • They lack confidence to use these gifts.
  • They are not in an environment where such gifts are valued and appreciated.
  • Or simply, they do not believe they are so gifted in the first place!

In one of my earlier blogs, I mentioned I had the opportunity in August to participate in a four day training in Orlando as part of my certification with the John Maxwell Team. It was an amazing experience where I and other team members got the opportunity to have over 12 hours of teaching time just with John. He spoke on many things but one included this very topic. John stated that your leadership gifts are an integral part of who you are. So if you are not who you are or should be . . . who will be?

When you HOLD onto the blessings God gave you, you will eventually lose them but the paradox is what you lose, you KEEP! I once heard a speaker say this a different way, “You never have anything until you give it away.” You are never a leader until you lead!

In the end, the question is how will you use your GIFTS? There are people out there just waiting for you. Identify and maximize your leadership gifts and become the leader we all wish we had!

As always, if I can help you Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would love to hear from you.

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM




No comments:

Post a Comment