Sunday, September 28, 2014

Time for some Freshmen wisdom!



Time for some Freshmen wisdom!

I get to do many great things in my “day job” as a university administrator. One of those things is to teach a leadership class for incoming freshmen who were competitively selected for a four-year leadership program I was given the opportunity to create.

One of my first assignments asks the students to think about what they need to leave behind and what do they want to keep as they transition from their old life to this new chapter as a college student. I get a lot of great responses but a student recently wrote this below:

"The path you choose to lay behind your footsteps is the path you choose to create."

Obviously this student is scary smart. I know I was not that articulate when I was a freshman in college! Perhaps she was not doing so intentionally but that very quote speaks to both the POWER and RESPONSIBILITY of CHOICES.

Our ability to CHOOSE our own destiny at any point in our lives is powerful. Unfortunately many feel they have lost the power to choose but it really never leaves us. At any given moment, we can change directions, set a new course, and take a leap of faith. It just requires us to trust in our selves more than our fears.

With every choice, however, we have a responsibility. We have to “own” our choices and their consequences . . . good or otherwise. The choice is yours, and we define ourselves by the choices we make!

So what choices have you been waiting on? What’s holding you back? What do you need to Keep? What do you need to Leave Behind?

As always, if I can help you work through those choices, I would love to hear from you.

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM



No comments:

Post a Comment