Sunday, November 15, 2015

Would you rather be Effective or Right?



This is concept was introduced to me by leadership expert and author, John Maxwell. Now on the surface the answer may be this is really one and the same. However, anyone married or in a committed relationship knows there is a very important distinction here! Let's say I am having a “discussion” with my wife. I may be "right" in my position or arguments but in the end that may not be the most "effective" strategy. Again for those in relationships, the clouds may be parting and you are starting to understand what I mean! This got me thinking out loud about how these two concepts impact how we lead others.

First there is the idea that may be many effective ways to get the same thing done. You may have a team member that accomplished something well, but did they do it the "right" way in terms of your ideas or preferences? As a leader this is a critical question. How you answer speaks to how well you empower others.

Second, as a leader we sometimes get in disagreements with colleagues. Again, you may hold the high ground terms of being "right", but would it be more effective if you gave a little? It may very well move us to a quicker solution if we were not trying to win every argument.

I often tell my team members there are many right ways to do something. Granted some ways may be more efficient than others but are they effective? I believe a true sign of a mature and “beyond you” leader is this capacity to bracket our reactions and preferences to give a staff member an important win!

If I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com


Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment