Sunday, November 22, 2015

Young Professionals = Big Impact!




I have workshop called Young Professionals, Big Impact. It’s even on a Prezi just to prove how hip I am with the young people! The premise that I thought out loud about is that even if you are a young professional new in your career, you can make a huge impact from right where you are!

As more and more millennials enter their careers, they carry with them the desire to make a difference NOW, versus later. Whereas not a complete list, here are some suggestions on how to do that and EXCEED EXPECTATIONS:

First, PREPARE before you START. This means increasing your skill levels in communication, teamwork, leadership, and the specifics of your discipline. Practice daily disciplines such as punctuality, attending to detail, asking questions, personal organization, etc. Most importantly, as pastor and author Andy Stanley encourages all, you should PRE-DECIDE what can of leader you will be (i.e. ethical, supportive, proactive, courageous, etc.)

Next, MASTER the BASICS of the role. Make sure you learn and accomplish core tasks and procedures, meet timelines, anticipate issues, know the players, create networks, and always carry yourself as the professional you now are. As author Scott Fay says, you will be hired for what you know, but you will be retained (or not!) for who you are!

Then you are ready and able to MAKE an IMPACT! As A. Coleman and N. Blumenthal suggest, your sources of impact are you have the most up to date knowledge-base, your skills in social media and software use, your energy and drive to deliver a quick win, your willingness to jump into high visibility projects, and, most importantly, your learner’s mindset.

The point being, I want you to avoid the passive posture of observing, assisting, etc. but instead quickly add to your mindset and portfolio the following phrases:
I created
I lead
I implemented
I initiated
I managed
I changed
I improved

If I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com

Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc


No comments:

Post a Comment