Sunday, January 24, 2016

How STICKY are your Resolutions?






Last week I thought it would be a good time to address the topic a New Year Resolutions since by this time, they are starting to fade for many of us! Based upon work from consultants Debbie Phillips and Robert Berkley from GroupMV, I developed a three step process of creating New Year resolutions that stickRemember, Resolve, then Reach! This week, let’s RESOLVE!



A big part of making and keeping resolutions is how they are constructed. Creating great GOALS is the key to progress! Here are a few pointers:

  • Write them down (as reminders)

  • State in the affirmative (want to’s versus have to’s!)

  • Tell others (as a means of support and accountability)

  • Calendar what you can (so that you know your target due dates)

  • Create metrics (what will successful goal attainment look, feel, or sound like?)

Once this is completed, it is important to keep them in front of you and review them regularly. Also, try to anticipate what the challenges will be? For instance, if you have a fitness goal, how will upcoming business or vacation travel interfere with that? How about looming deadlines for projects impact your leadership growth goals? An anticipated problem can become a managed problem! Finally, if it is a big goal (and I hope you have plenty of them!), break it down into manageable parts. Think about things you can do every week versus every day. The point is to create movement and we only move by moving!



Next week, I will finish this series with the last element I labeled REACH! I hope you will keep reading and keep making progress.



In the interim, if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!



Yours in Leadership,



Bill Faulkner



Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies

Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM



Email = bill@outloudinc.com



Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com



Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment