Sunday, January 31, 2016

New Year, Now REACH!


If you live in Florida for any length of time, you cannot help but be impressed by the physical and operational size of Walt Disney World. One important reason for such growth and quality is the Walt himself would encourage his team members to “plus” every good idea! Truly a great example of a leader encouraging himself and his team to REACH! The result is the entertainment and marketing juggernaut we see today. This got me thinking out loud about what we need to REACH for or PLUS this year.

Finishing my series of Remember, Resolve, and then REACH, it is important to understand that when we REACH, we are extending our current:
  • Thoughts
  • Talents
  • Abilities
  • Aspirations

to get to something better, higher, or stronger. The challenge is that so few of us really do this. According to author and speaker Paul Martinelli, he states that one of the major mistakes people make when setting goals is that they establish goals that they know they can already achieve! That might make things incrementally better, but it won’t “jump the curve”. The point being is that we should always be reaching for goals that we are not totally sure we can achieve. Now, does this mean we will always reach those “plus” goals? No, but on the other hand, we just might! That is when life gets very interesting! Currently there is a film out about a prior Mount Everest expedition. Not only did the climbers need to reach to even make an attempt that few people have ever tried, they had to survive the descent. Whether experienced climbers or relative new comers, they all knew that a successful ascent was not a given, in fact, most expeditions fail. They had to REACH!

So how do we “plus” our lives this year? As stated, Debbie Phillips and Robert Berkley from GroupMV suggest we select a word or theme for the year. Such a theme sets a tone and provides focus for thought, time, and energy. Everything we do can then be directed back to this theme. Some questions to help us stay in focus include:
  • Does this action support my theme?
  • Will this action help me have more of my theme in my life?
  • Will this attitude or behavior increase my chances for fulfilling my year-long theme?

I hope you enjoyed this three part series. 2016 is already shaping up to be an interesting year for me but I hope it is a successful one for you. Just take a few minutes to remember last year’s impactful events, resolve to create meaningful goals, then “plus” them!

As always if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical in order to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Co-Founder – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com


Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment