Sunday, October 23, 2016

Focus on being a Contender, not a Pretender!



Many times in life, we feel like an imposter. We feel we are not as equipped or capable as we are. In other words, we feel like we are a pretender and not a contender! We believe we will be found wanting if we attempted to do something new or harder. The good news is many of overcome these feelings and succeed. This got me thinking out loud about how we move from pretension to contention!

Often when we are faced with a new challenge, job, or opportunity, the unspoken question is “Can I?” Nothing better illustrates this than every fall when millions of young (or not so young!) people start college. Whether they say it loud or not, they are asking many “Can I” questions.

  • Can I handle the work academically?
  • Can I succeed socially?
  • Can I make an impact while I am here?
  • Can I find my “why”?


Many of us ask similar questions later in life when faced with bigger jobs, newer roles, or trying something new. Here’s the thing, asking “Can I?” is natural. It probably is an evolutionary fail-safe that keeps us out of trouble in situations like wondering if I am a good enough skier to handle the steepest and fastest runs versus the beginner’s slope (that answer for me is NO by the way!). But short of life-threatening situations, the answer is often YES! So here are some things to think about to move yourself from pretender to contender.

Focus on the POSITIVES. Speaker and author Paul Martinelli encourages us to ask, ‘What is the BEST that can happen?” as opposed to our usual “What is the worst that can happen?” when confronted with a new opportunity. The first is empowering while the latter often stops us cold!

Focus on SOLUTIONS. Leadership expert John Maxwell encourages us to change the paradigm. Instead of asking “Can I?”, try asking “HOW Can I?”. In other words, look at a new role or opportunity as a puzzle to be solved. Working the problem is far more productive than enlarging the problem!

Focus on MINDSET. We become what we think about. If you believe you are a contender, then you will marshal the resources to become one. Even if you are not 100% equipped (and whoever is?) for what you are facing, the right mindset and attitude can help carry you the rest of the way.

Focus on EQUIPPING. I have often advised young professionals to seek roles that may be a bit bigger than what their current skills levels match to stretch themselves. If what they HAVE as foundational (i.e. integrity, strong work ethic, learner’s mindset, strong communicator, etc.) than much of what is NEEDED is informational which can be learned and obtained.

The point of all of this is you are far more equipped and capable than you give yourself credit for. So, seek the larger, bigger, or better! Believe you are a contender and you will be!

As always if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact! Also, as a bonus, if you go to my Out Loud Strategies website (www.outloudinc.com) and enter your contact information, I will send you a FREE guide to establishing a mentoring initiative program in your organization! Such an initiative would be critical to add value to your organization!

Yours in Leadership,

Bill Faulkner

Principal Consultant – Out Loud Strategies

Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com


Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment