Sunday, May 27, 2018

8 Questions You Do Not Want to Ask About Your Leadership (but probably should anyway!)



The quality of answers we get in life depends on the quality of questions we ask! If you have been following my blogs these last few weeks (http://outloudinc.blogspot.com/), you know I have been proposing that the only way we are going to turn around toxic and unsafe workplaces, hospitals, schools, non-profits, etc. is if we ALL adopt a Servant Leadership lifestyle. When we do so, we will drastically reduce the negatives such as bullying, harassment, and discrimination and increase the positives such as motivation, quality, and innovation.

So how do you know if you are really a powerful Servant Leader? That got me thinking out loud that I should provide some key questions that we (and especially me!) should continually ask ourselves and others about our leadership. We probably do not want to do this because we may not like the answers we receive but for the benefit of others and our own improvement, we probably should anyway!

Adopted from John Maxwell’s newly released book, Developing the Leader Within 2.0, which I will highlight further, he proposes 8 powerful questions in the chapter The Heart of Leadership: Serving People. For the purpose of this blog I have amended somewhat and divided them into two categories: 1. Questions we should ask ourselves and 2. questions we should ask others.

4 Questions to ask YOURSELF

RESULTS = What can I do to ADD VALUE to Others that will help us obtain the RESULTS desired?
(As I have written about previously, Servant Leadership is focused on results but ones that are mutually agreed upon and stated clearly and continuously. Leaders that add value to others do with great intention. When is the last time you sat down and thought about what opportunity, gesture, praise, etc. you could provide to a member of your team or a co-worker?)

STRENGTHS = What do I do BEST that Allows me to SERVE Best?
(Trust me, I know you do a lot of things well but what are your strengths that really makes an impact in the life of others? Think about what you do best that gives you outstanding results in terms of leading and serving others. Everyone one of us has gifts and talents but they are of no use until they are given away.)

EXAMPLE = Does my Service to Others INSPIRE them to Serve Others?
(One of the best ways to know if you are effectively modeling Servant Leadership is to look around and see if others are copying your example. Look around this week, what do you see? The greatest gift you can give someone is living example of what it means to be of value to someone.)

EVALUATION = How do I KNOW I am Serving Others EFFECTIVELY?
(As Robert Greenleaf would often share, one of the best metrics to determine if you are serving others effectively is to determine if their lives are better, more fulfilled, more successful, etc. as a direct result of their interactions with you! Again, take a look around. Are the people around better, wiser, or happier with you in their life?)

4 Questions to ask OTHERS

ADDING VALUE = What can I do to help you SUCCEED?
(You may have some very good ideas about this, but people define success differently which is why you should be asking this and all these questions to not just those that work for you but to colleagues, supervisors, and other stakeholders. What do they need from you that will make their lives better, easier, or less stressful?)

EVERYDAY = What do You Need from me DAILY?
(As much as anything, leaders need to be consistent in their habits, attitudes, values, and expectations. There is nothing worse than having the type supervisor where you never know who you are going to get that day! I am sure my own team members would wonder if they are getting Crazy Bill or Even Crazier Bill each day! Seriously, Servant Leadership is not a “one-off”. Everyday, we need to affirm to others that our desire as leaders is to help them succeed.)

IMPROVEMENT = What can I WORK ON that will Help Me Serve You Better?
(Even the best Servant Leaders can improve. In that the hallmark of effective Servant Leaders is that they work to expand their capacities so that they can lead, work, and serve to their highest potential! Leadership is not a one-size fits all proposition. The people you work for, with, or work for you deserve your best so work to be your best!)

BLIND SPOTS = What is it LIKE to Work with Me?
(Wow, what a great question John Maxwell proposes. I “double dog” dare you to ask the 3600 circle of influence around you this question. In fact, I would love it if you would email me the date, context, and reactions your get when you ask folks around you this question. This will take a lot of moral courage but the results you obtain will be worth it. In fact, I will bet that even asking others this question will propel your leadership to a whole new level in their eyes!)

Without a doubt, these are some tough questions. But in the asking and listening to the answers, you can change the trajectory of your life and leadership. Ann McGee Cooper and Duane Tramwell in their article, From Hero as Leader to Servant as Leader, share that the heroes of the new millennia will be servant leaders, quietly working out of the spotlight to transform the world. The world is desperate for heroes and role models. I encourage you to ask these tough but revealing questions and use the answers to be the leader we all wish we had!



As always if I can help you and the people you associate with Get Better, Be Ready and LEAD OUT LOUD, I would invite you to email me or to visit my website below and see if any of the training or coaching experiences I offer can provide an impact. Also, as an independent coach, speaker, and trainer for the John Maxwell Team, I am authorized to provide training and/or a 6-week virtual mastermind study of Developing the Leader Within You 2.0. This new work from John is a significantly updated version of the first title and one that I assert is probably the best general purpose Leadership Handbook currently available. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of service to you!

Yours in Leadership,


Bill Faulkner
Principal Consultant – Out Loud Strategies
Independent Coach, Speaker, and Trainer with the John Maxwell Team TM

Email = bill@outloudinc.com

Visit our website at: www.outloudinc.com

For more information on the John Maxwell Team, please visit

Feel free to “LIKE” our FB Page www.facebook.com/outloudinc

No comments:

Post a Comment